For this interview, we talked with Christy James from Confessions of a Serial Diyer. Christy’s superpower is taking old worn-out items from thrift shops and transforming them into incredible decor pieces. She is actually a registered nurse but while staying home with her two adorable boys she discovered her passion for DIY. Along with her husband, they seek to take over the universe with DIY awesomeness.
How to Transform a Thrift Find Into a DIY Masterpiece:
1. How many years have you been blogging?
I’ve been blogging for seven years.
2. What is your favorite DIY project that you’ve ever done?
My current kitchen Kitchen Makeover Reveal
3. Which project are you most proud of?
Same…my kitchen makeover. It was all DIY that I did myself with only being assisted by my husband for some of the demo.
4. What does a day in the life of a DIY blogger look like?
I feel like I am never off…there is always something to be done. I spend most days working on my makeovers, but in addition, it takes a lot of time to find my projects, stage and photograph them, write my posts, and then promote. Most posts take several hours to put together and that doesn’t even include creating the content.
5. What kind of lighting do you have set up for your work?
I have a lamp in my office.
6. Have you ever used a lamp or string lights in a project?
7. What is the greatest tip that you could give?
Don’t be afraid to fail. You’ll never succeed if you don’t even try. Just go for it!
8. What is the hardest thing about doing DIY?
Coming up with a plan.
9. What’s your secret to staying motivated & inspired long term?
I make over all sorts of thrift store, yard sale, and estate sale finds and no two items are ever quite the same. I get to do something new with every piece I transform. That and I have an amazing community of readers that are so encouraging.
10. What do you think had the biggest impact on making your blog a success?
Being consistent for sure. I share a new makeover every Tuesday and Thursday, and I always try to make whatever I’m sharing worth my readers’ time.
Hope you enjoyed the interview! And please leave your comments and/or questions for Kate below 😊.